Wednesday, April 13, 2011

In a little while

“In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me.” This is from John16:16.

I recently heard a sermon on this passage. Jesus is telling his disciples that he is going to die, but then rise again. During the sermon, I started thinking; how did Jesus know he would rise again? Was he at all doubtful, what if it didn't work?
The important realization I came to was that he knew what was going to happen by faith. Not by some special connection he had with his Father in heaven, but by the special connection we all have with our Father in heaven... faith. Jesus went to the cross by faith, knowing all he knew of the scriptures, of the plan of God, of his position in this plan, and all the joy that welled in him through his prayer life.
The implication is that we are able to know things as surely as Jesus did. For example, that he will return, and that we will rise again... in a little while.

No comments: