I can be easily upset. Maybe less so than when I was young, or maybe more so. I have many weak points.
For example, tell me I've gained weight, or that I'm playing out of tune, or that I did something I don't think I did, and even if I don't show it, I'm feeling wounded.
But if I do show it, what comes out is often ugly and hurtful.
This is normal and excusable...
It may be normal, but is it excusable?
Moses struck the rock, when he was instructed to speak to the rock. The rock still gushed water, but Moses was not excused. He did not enter the promised land with Joshua and the rest of Israel.
When Jesus was struck during his interview with the high priest, he did not strike back, but he did respond. That response was a true question as to why he was struck.
When Paul was struck he responded with offensive words, but later apologized.
The tongue is a source of evil. I know my words can cut deeply and quickly, as sharp as an evil sword. It is much better for that sword to remain in it's scabbard.
Texting on the other hand, for people my age, takes longer and gives us time to think, time to hold back and reconsider if those words are appropriate and necessary.
Silence is also a good way to respond to hurt. Tears are also a gift.
The groans we groan in our anguish might also be heard by God.
The fruit of the Holy Spirit includes self control. Maybe one of the most important aspects of the fruit.
I find it deeply interesting that the Holy Spirit activates in us, the ability for us to control ourselves. He gives us the reigns to control the horse that is us. This must imply that there are other powers that seek to control us in less positive ways, and though we may think we hold our own reigns, we may in fact have given them up.
How easily can we be controlled by others?
I have grandchildren. They can make me do things that others cannot, but that is partly me allowing them that control.
As Christians, we are given God, the Holy Spirit, to indwell us and to guide and inspire us, and comfort us.
His fruit (singular) includes self control. With his help we can hold back. And with a searching prayer, we can find better words, or no words to answer those who hurt us, whom we love.
And the grace of God is always present to keep us in the wonderful bosom of Abraham.
No comments:
Post a Comment